Thursday, April 22, 2010

The story of my stool sample

Continuing with the Salt restaurant stuff- I was asked to make a prototype of the stool to see just how much abuse it will be able to take. I used some oak from trees that had to be taken down from Riverview Park here in Pittsburgh.

These logs were procured and milled by Urban Tree Forge. I rent shop space from them and therefore have access to a bunch of urban lumber.

Here is the bookmatched set of boards that will make the stool
Here are the parts glued up:
If this was a one off I might do the dovetails by hand. Because I'll eventually be making 36 of these at once, I'll use the dovetail jig to speed things up.

A good fit.



I added a dowel near the bottom and a two inch wide piece of wood across the bottom of the seat from side to side to prevent racking.

Here it is all glued, sanded and coated with a post-cat lacquer. For a minimal additional cost, I could add my patented "Gum-guard" chewing gum resistant undercoating. It's a pretty sweet deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment